If you live in the South, or even frequently visit, you may be under the impression that everything here is fried. Even the vegetables get a bad rap around Alabama. All hail the famous Fried Okra.
I’m Ellie Rome, certified health coach, Southern born and raised, and I’m here to bust that myth. You can enjoy Southern Culture’s finest, like hospitality (read: strangers waving to you on the street) without ingesting a slab of butter or derailing your health goals.
This guide aims to help you enhance your social life AND feel good in your body, by sharing healthy options at your favorite local spots in Mobile. Dining out doesn’t have to mean throwing in the towel or feeling bloated and sluggish after your meal. It should be fun, decadent, and delicious and leave you feeling energized, light, and ready to go.
This week check out one of my favorite places downtown, The OK Bicycle Shop.
WHAT TO ORDER:
● Grilled Chicken Salad using guacamole or Bike Shop’s amazing green cilantro pesto as dressing
● Steak Salad with no corn or tortilla strips, comes with sautéed peppers and onions, add avocado if you like
● Grilled Shrimp Salad, hold the queso cotija
● Deconstructed Tacos! Pick one from the list below. (What’s deconstructed you may ask? No tortilla, but instead ask for your taco served on a bed of roasted cabbage, mixed greens, or fresh spinach.)
- Seared Ahi Tuna
- Lengua (This one is my favorite!)
- Grilled Fish
Ellie’s Bonus Tip: Never arrive at a restaurant starving, especially mexican cuisine, as the basket of tortilla chips may be hard to resist. If you’re in a bind, you can order guacamole and bring your own bag of Siete Tortilla Chips. (Found at Wholefoods, Publix, or order on Amazon! These delicious chips are grain free/corn free made of Cassava and Coconut flour in avocado oil. They are gut friendly, gluten free/corn free, and won’t fuel inflammation. #simpleswap
Becoming your healthiest self doesn’t have to be hard and you don’t have to do it alone. If you are struggling to follow through for yourself or need more guidance on how to fuel your unique body without restriction or deprivation, and be able to dine out with ease no matter what city you’re in, set up a free strategy call with Ellie. Ellie offers personalized programs to transform your health and create sustainable routines to last a lifetime, providing you with the right system, support, and accountability.